Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Introduction

Almost-Armchair Aiki will be about "aiki", including, but not limited to, the martial art and spiritual way named Aikido as founded by Morihei Ueshiba. It will also touch on other related topics, including other martial arts, other modes of spirituality that include aiki or analogous concepts, and perhaps relevant science.

Why "Almost-Armchair"? It signifies my unusual, maybe even unique (judging by my conversations with several long-time Aikidoka) history with and relationship to Aikido. First, it's important to know that as of this writing, I haven't formally studied Aikido, which however, I hope to correct as soon as possible. Despite this, Aikido and many of the concepts it is based on have been part of my life in one way or another since childhood. I have also trained in martial arts, both formally and informally, throughout my life, though not always as intensively as might be wished. I have certainly been exposed to, and tried to practice, aiki, through this and through different spiritual practices. Yet as far as Aikido itself is concerned, I have an unusual, very patchy, range of knowledge. There are some things that, not having formally trained, I know little or nothing about, and certainly many things I cannot do, as far as Aikido techniques. Yet, there are others that I do know enough about to speak on, and have gleaned insight on from my experiences and studies. But again, our overall topic is "aiki" rather than "Aikido" per se; Aikido is one discipline dedicated to aiki, but there are others, under other names.

In part, this blog is meant to help me to express and clarify my thoughts and realizations as part of my own development, and in part I hope it will also help others. If I write about things that I don't yet actually know much about, which is to say, the armchair side of things, I will try to make that clear. I will generally try to give sources or reasons for my thoughts; or else to say if something is my own thought or speculation. If I don't specify, it will often be because I believe something to be common knowledge, at least among those familiar with the topic. Readers who see a need for clarification on something in a post are welcome to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment