Friday, November 21, 2014

Review: Puzzle Mats from WeSellMats.com

I recently got a bundle of puzzle mats from WeSellMats, and I'd like to share my impressions with my readers. (A relative placed the order on my behalf, so in this article, I say "we" at several appropriate points.)

First, for those unfamiliar with them, "puzzle mats" are floor mats that are made with interlocking edges, so that they resemble jigsaw puzzles. This allows for considerable versatility in covering all or part of a floor in mats, all firmly locked together, including oddly shaped floors, if need be... within the limit of the size of the individual tiles, of course. If one has different colors of tiles - of the same size and pattern, the colors can be arranged either for esthetic reasons or to mark out distinct areas for sparring, or the like.

Since a fair part of my solo practice includes ukemi rolling, I have wanted to get some mats for quite a while now (until now, I have practiced directly on the wood floor, much as in some of O-Sensei's early dojos - but even with that example, the thought of it makes some of my friends and mentors wince). So, from time to time, I have browsed a selection of martial arts and mat suppliers. A few weeks ago, therefore, I was pleased to find the Overstock section on the WeSellMats site, where the products are considerably discounted from regular prices.

I won't link to the particular product that we ordered, because although it still in stock as I write, who knows how long it will remain? However, if you're in the market for mats, it is certainly worthwhile to see if anything in the Overstock listings fits your needs. In any case, it is the product that is most important here, any discounts are merely a bonus.

The mats we got are blue, 3/8-inch thick EVA foam, and 1 square foot in area, each. This company normally sells their mats in bundles that will cover 24 square feet; in the package this size come in, they are in six squares of four tiles each. There are also edging pieces to provide a smooth edge, including corners. (These are their 'small' mats; the regular size mats are the same as these squares of four of the small size.)

Now, I was pleased and impressed with the mats immediately upon opening the shipping carton, all the more so considering their discounted price. They were precisely as advertised, and better than I had visualized. They suit my needs very well, cushioning the floor against either repeated rolls, or the occasional misjudgment and hard impact.

It is safe to say, I believe, that if a discounted shipment of the thinnest mat of this type that they sell is so pleasing, that the thicker varieties are just as good or better, and therefore worth the price. The company sells several thicker varieties, including 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch, with are both categorized as intended for martial arts use. A dojo or anyone taking throws would doubtless prefer one of those thicker and more heavy-duty mats. Of particular interest to dojos might be this special size consisting of 100 square feet of 3/4 mats, of 40"x40" tiles.

On that note, as a fairly short person, I find that this one bundle of 24 sq ft is quite nice. I would imagine that people who are significantly taller might feel a little constrained at that space, and might prefer using a larger number of mats. Similarly, if two people are practicing together, they may prefer more mats, though with care, it might do.

In short, I do firmly recommend the WeSellMats products, based on my experience with the particular variety we ordered. If even the thinnest variety they sell is so nice, I'm sure that the thicker and larger mats will be well worth the understandably more expensive prices, for those who may need or simply prefer them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment